[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-04

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Jan 23 18:40:07 UTC 2018

(Hyperlinkified for your pleasure: https://anticdent.org/tc-report-18-04.html )

When a person is in early adolescence they get cramps in their legs
and call it growing pains. Later, in adulthood, there's a different
kind of pain when the strategies and tactics used to survive
adolescence are no longer effective and there's a chafing that won't
subside until there's been a change in behavior and expectations; an
adaptation to new constraints and realities.

Whatever that is called, we've got it going on in OpenStack,
evident in the discussion had in the past week.

## OpenStack-wide Goals

There are four proposed [OpenStack-wide
goals](https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/index.html):

* [Add Cold upgrades
   capabilities](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533544/)
* [Add Rocky goal to remove
   mox](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/532361/)
* [
Add Rocky goal to enable mutable
configuration](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/534605/)
* [
Add Rocky goal to ensure pagination
links](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/532627/)

These need to be validated by the community, but they are not [getting
as much
feedback](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-23.log.html#t2018-01-23T09:16:51)
as hoped. There are different theories as to why, from "people are
busy", to "people don't feel empowered to comment", to "people don't
care". Whatever it is, without input the onus falls on the TC to make
choices, increasing the risk that the goals will be perceived as a
diktat. As always, we need to work harder to have high fidelity
feedback loops. This is especially true in our "mature" phase.

## Interop Testing

Despite lots of discussion in
[email](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126146.html)
and on the [review](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/521602/), the
effort to clarify how trademark and interop tests are to be managed
remains unresolved. Some
[discussion](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-23.log.html#t2018-01-23T13:46:15)
today explored whether there is an ordering problem.

I find the whole thing very confusing. People who care about trademark
tests should write and review any new ones in a trademark repo that
hosts the trademark tempest plugin. Existing tests should migrate or
be copied there as time allows. Then the trademark tests have a single
responsibility and a single home and we don't have to think so much.
People imply that this is crazy, and yes, it requires some effort and
has some duplication, but doesn't everything?

## Scope of OpenStack Projects

Last Thursday, dhellman [started a
conversation](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-18.log.html#t2018-01-18T15:32:13)
about what makes an OpenStack project, prompted by
[Qinling's](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533827/) application to
be "official". The adult reality here is [stated pretty
clearly](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-18.log.html#t2018-01-18T15:43:53)
by Doug:

> we used to have 2 options, yes or no. Now we have yes, no, and "let
> us help you set up your own thing over here"

To some extent gatekeeping projects is the main job of the TC, and now
we've made it a bit more confusing.

## PTL Balance

In [this morning's office
hours](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-18.log.html#t2018-01-18T15:43:53)
we had a discussion about ways to help the PTL role (especially of the
larger and most active projects) be more manageable and balanced. The main
challenge is that as currently constituted, the person in the PTL role
often needs to keep the state of the whole project in their head.

That's not sustainable.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/