[openstack-dev] [nova] PTL Election Season

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Jan 23 09:46:06 UTC 2018

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018, Ed Leafe wrote:

> I still don't understand how anyone could do what you have done
> over these past two years and not a) had a stress-induced heart
> attack or b) gotten divorced.

Indeed, Matt has been an amazing PTL. Thank you Matt for all your
hard work. The quality of your attention is extraordinary.

But anybody considering being the PTL for Nova should not use the
volume that Matt worked as a model for how to do it. That's not
behavior any of us should encourage or accept. Sure, we might say
"it's open source, it's a lifestyle" but every style of life needs
some balance. From the outside, it seemed to work okay for Matt
but if it is used as a precedent that would not be good.

Delegation is the usual strategy that people mention to avoid
overcommitting but this can only work, in the current Nova model, if
there are sufficient people around continuously, day in, day out,
who can maintain the necessary awareness of the big picture.

Might be better to start considering additional ways in which Nova
can be decomposed.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/