[openstack-dev] [magnum] [ironic] Why does magnum create instances with ports using 'fixed-ips' ?

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Fri Jan 19 20:10:53 UTC 2018

Hey there,

We have just recently integrated MAGNUM into our OpenStack Distribution.

QUESTION:
When MAGNUM is creating the ‘instances’ for the COE master and minion nodes,
WHY does it create the instances with ports using ‘fixed-ips’ ?
                - instead of just letting the instance’s port dhcp for its ip-address ?

I am asking this question because:

·         we have also integrated IRONIC into our OpenStack Distribution, and

o    currently support the simple (somewhat non-multi-tenant) networking approach
i.e.

§  ironic-provisioning-net TENANT NETWORK,
used to  network boot the IRONIC Instances,
is owned by ADMIN but shared so TENANTS can create IRONIC instances,

§  AND,
we do NOT support the functionality to have IRONIC update the
adjacent switch configuration in order to move the IRONIC instance
on to a different (TENANT-owned) TENANT NETWORK after the instance
is created.

o    so it is SORT OF multi-tenant in the sense that any TENANT can create an IRONIC instance,
HOWEVER the IRONIC instances of all tenants are all on the same TENANT NETWORK

·         In this environment,
When we use MAGNUM to create IRONIC COE Nodes

o    it ONLY works if the ADMIN creates the MAGNUM Cluster,

o    it does NOT work if a TENANT creates the MAGNUM Cluster,

§  because a TENANT can NOT create an instance port with ‘fixed-ips’ on a TENANT NETWORK
that is not owned by himself.

appreciate any info on this,
Greg.