[openstack-dev] [tripleo] tripleo-upgrade pike branch

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Fri Jan 19 15:21:02 UTC 2018

Thanks Marius for sending this out and kicking off a conversation.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Marius Cornea <mariusc at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone and Happy New Year!
>
> As the migration of tripleo-upgrade repo to the openstack namespace is
> now complete I think it's the time to create a Pike branch to capture
> the current state so we can use it for Pike testing and keep the
> master branch for Queens changes. The update/upgrade steps are
> changing between versions and the aim of branching the repo is to keep
> the update/upgrade steps clean per branch to avoid using conditionals
> based on release. Also tripleo-upgrade should be compatible with
> different tools used for deployment(tripleo-quickstart, infrared,
> manual deployments) which use different vars for the version release
> so in case of using conditionals we would need extra steps to
> normalize these variables.

I understand the desire to create a branch to protect the work that has
been done previously.
The interesting thing is that you guys are proposing to use a branched
ansible role with
a branchless upstream project.  I want to make sure we have enough review
so that we don't hit issues
in the future.   Maybe that is OK, but I have at least one concern.

My conern is about gating the tripleo-upgrade role and it's branches.  When
tripleo-quickstart is changed
which is branchless we will be have to kick off a job for each
tripleo-upgrade branch?  That immediately doubles
the load on gates.

It's extemely important to properly gate this role against the versions of
TripleO and OSP.  I see very limited
check jobs and gate jobs on tripleo-upgrades atm.  I have only found [1].
 I think we need to see some external and internal
jobs checking and gating this role with comments posted to changes.

[1]
https://review.rdoproject.org/jenkins/job/gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-containers-multinode-upgrades-pike/