[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] resource providers update 18-03

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Fri Jan 19 13:55:33 UTC 2018

> Earlier in the week I did some exercising by humans and was confused
> by the state of traits handling on /allocation_candidates (it could be
> the current state is the expected state but the code didn't make that
> clear) so I made a bug on it make sure that confusion didn't get forgotten:
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1743860

I can help with the confusion.  The current state is indeed expected (at
least by me).  There were some WIPs early in the cycle to get just the
?required= part of traits in place, BUT the granular resource requests
effort was a superset of that.  Granular was mostly finished even at
that time, but the final piece of the puzzle relies on code that's in
progress right now (NRP in allocation candidates) so has been on hold.
Whereas I hope it's still possible to tie all that off in Q, we're now
getting to a point where it's prudent to hedge our bets and make sure we
at least support traits on the single (un-numbered) request group.

TL;DR: Yes, let's move forward with Alex's patch:

> (Looks like Alex is working on the correct fix at
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/535642/

...but also make sure we get lots of review focus on Jay's
NRP-in-alloc-cands series to give Granular a fighting chance.