[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Clarifying testing recommendation for interop programs

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Fri Jan 19 10:57:01 UTC 2018

On 19/01/18 00:52, Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:
>> Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2018-01-18 15:21:12 -0500:
>>> Excerpts from Graham Hayes's message of 2018-01-18 19:25:02 +0000:

>>> OK, so that's a problem. I need to hear from the QA team why they've
>>> reversed that decision.

>>> When we approved the resolution that describes the current policy, the
>>> QA team agreed that they would take tests for trademark. There was no
>>> stipulation about which projects those apply to.
>>
>> I feel pretty sure that was discussed in a TC meeting, but I can't
>> find that. I do find Matt and Ken'ichi voting +1 on the resolution
>> itself.  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312718/. If I remember
>> correctly, Ken'ichi was the PTL at the time.
>
> Yeah, I have still agreed with the resolution.
> When I voted +1 on that, core projects were defined as 6 projects like
> Nova, Cinder, Glance, Keystone, Neutron and Swift.
> And the project navigator also showed these 6 projects as core projects.
> Now I cannot find such definition on the project navigator[1], the
> definition has been changed?
> I just want to clarify "is it true that designate and heat become core
> projects?"
> If there is a concrete decision, I don't have any objections against
> that we have these projects tests in Tempest as the resolution.

This seems to be the problem - there is not now, or ever been a "core"
project definition that was decided by TC / community. We have a set of
projects that most people will refer to as "core", but there is no way
to add projects to that.

What was highlighted on the project navigator was a set of projects the
marketing dept in the foundation considered core, which is definitely
*not* something we as a community should use as a technical basis for
anything.