[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-5, January 20 - 26

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Jan 18 15:47:57 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 08:56:55AM -0600, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> Development Focus
> -----------------
>
> Teams should be focused on implementing planned work. Work should be wrapping
> up on client libraries to meet the client lib deadline Thursday, the 25th.
>
> General Information
> -------------------
>
> Next Thursday is the final client library release. Releases will only be
> allowed for critical fixes in libraries after this point as we stabilize
> requirements and give time for any unforeseen impacts from lib changes to
> trickle through.
>
> When requesting these library releases, you should also include the stable
> branching request with the review (as an example, see the "branches" section
> here:
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/deliverables/pike/os-brick.yaml#n2)
>
> Speaking of branching... for projects following the cycle-with-milestones
> release model, please check membership of your $project-release group. This
> group should be limited to those aware of the final release activity for the
> project to make sure only important things are allowed to be backported into
> the stable/queens branch leading up to the final release. For new projects this
> cycle, you may need to request the infra team create this group for you.
>
> Upcoming Deadlines & Dates
> --------------------------
>
> Final client library release deadline: January 25
> Queens-3 Milestone: January 25
> Start of Rocky PTL nominations: January 29
> Start of Rocky PTL election: February 7
> OpenStack Summit Vancouver CFP deadline: February 8
> Rocky PTG in Dublin: Week of February 26, 2018
>
> --
> Sean McGinnis (smcginnis)

I got too focused on the client lib freeze that there are a few significant
things I forgot to mention.

Please be aware that the 25th (that's a Thursday Jay) is also the Queens-3
deadline. With that, we are also in Feature Freeze. Only bug fixes and wrap up
work should be accepted after this point without explicit approval from the PTL
and some mention on the mailing list.

With these final library releases, the requirements repo is also now locked
down to allow projects to stabilize before RC.

And in order to help the I18n team have a chance of getting any translations
done, we also enter String Freeze. Translatable strings (anything in _() in
exceptions) should not be changed unless absolutely necessary.