[openstack-dev] [tripleo] storyboard evaluation

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jan 17 12:33:29 UTC 2018

Clint Byrum wrote:
> [...]
> That particular example board was built from tasks semi-automatically,
> using a tag, by this script running on a cron job somewhere:
>
> https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/zuul/tree/tools/update-storyboard.py?h=feature/zuulv3
>
> We did this so that we could have a rule "any task that is open with
> the zuulv3 tag must be on this board". Jim very astutely noticed that
> I was not very good at being a robot that did this and thus created the
> script to ease me into retirement from zuul project management.
>
> The script adds new things in New, and moves tasks automatically to
> In Progress, and then removes them when they are completed. We would
> periodically groom the "New" items into an appropriate lane with the hopes
> of building what you might call a rolling-sprint in Todo, and calling
> out blocked tasks in a regular meeting. Stories were added manually as
> a way to say "look in here and add tasks", and manually removed when
> the larger effort of the story was considered done.
>
> I rather like the semi-automatic nature of it, and would definitely
> suggest that something like this be included in Storyboard if other
> groups find the board building script useful. This made a cross-project
> effort between Nodepool and Zuul go more smoothly as we had some more
> casual contributors to both, and some more full-time.

That's a great example that illustrates StoryBoard design: rather than
do too much upfront feature design, focus on primitives and expose them
fully through a strong API, then let real-world usage dictate patterns
that might result in future features.

The downside of this approach is of course getting enough usage on a
product that appears a bit "raw" in terms of features. But I think we
are closing on getting that critical mass :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)