[openstack-dev] [Nova][Ironic][API] Service Management API Design

Kumari, Madhuri madhuri.kumari at intel.com
Wed Jan 17 05:22:55 UTC 2018

Hi Nova Developers,

I am working on adding a service management API in Ironic [1][2]. This spec adds a new API /conductors to list, enable/disable an ironic-conductor service.
I am struggling to understand the difference between shutting down a service manually and disabling it.

So my question is what happens to the VMs and the current operation(if any) going on with the nova-compute service we disable? What is the difference between shutting down the service and disabling it?
I understand both the actions, disables scheduling request to the compute service and the workloads are taken over by other nova-compute service.

Please help me understand the design in Nova.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471217/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1526759

Regards,
Madhuri