[openstack-dev] [pbr] support v_version
doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jan 15 16:48:35 UTC 2018
Excerpts from Gaetan's message of 2018-01-15 17:29:01 +0100:
> First, thanks a lot for your support and your kindness ! Really appreciate
> that :)
> > > Do you know where I need to hack PBR to fix it?
> > So 'pbr' correctly parses the prefixed tags, but it's just the output
> > packages (sdists, wheels) that always unversioned? If so, this sounds
> > correct. Python packaging, as defined in PEP-440 , doesn't use the
> > 'v' prefixes, so it doesn't really make sense to stick them in here.
> > Out of curiosity, what's your rationale for modifying the package name?
> The package name is not changed actually. With the patch in PBR that has
> been merged, one could add a tag named "v1.0.0" on mypackage package,
> and the sdist will generate a distribution package
> So I think (hope?) this is still PEP440 compliant.
> I tried this feature on another software that also uses pbr and there is no
> problem: v version works great with sdist/bdist/wheel packages.
> I use it inside a Gitlab CE pipeline on a tag pipeline (CI is triggered when
> a git tag that follows the "v*" regular expression), and instead of
> a package
> it created
> When I retried manually on my development environment, pbr works
> perfectly again on the same code.
> I guess it somehow didn't used my build of the pbr package when
> running in gitlab pipeline.
It sounds like the CE pipeline is not building packages in the same way?
Or is using an old version of pbr?
> Do you plan on releasing PBR soon on pypi?
> I have to build myself and push it on our internal nexus pypi, but I think
> safest way is to wait for an official pbr release on pypi.python.org :)
Unfortunately we're approaching a significant set of feature freeze
deadlines for this OpenStack development cycle. Because it is very
difficult to "pin" a library like pbr that appears in the setup_requires
list for projects in our CI pipelines, and this next release of pbr
would have quite a few changes, we have decided in our meeting today
to be cautious and delay the next release for a few weeks.
I have scheduled a reminder to tag the pbr release during the first
week of March, after the OpenStack release is safely completed.
I'm sorry if this causes inconvenience. We're going to work on
ensuring we have more frequent releases so we reduce our chance of
ending up in a similar situation again in the future.
More information about the OpenStack-dev