[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news
cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jan 11 17:29:26 UTC 2018
Greetings OpenStack community,
Wide-ranging conversations in the API-SIG meeting today . We started out discussing techniques for driving the adoption of the guidelines published by the group. Two ideas received most of the attention:
* Provide guidance on the tools available to make it easier to align new API projects with the guidelines, from the outset. The idea of an example or cookbook project was mooted, but the number of options, variables, and opinions that such an effort would face killed this idea. Better, perhaps, are recommend tools for addressing common problems.
* Making use of the OpenStack-wide goals  process to encourage working towards consistency. Monty has made a proposal  based on the rfc5988 link guidance newly listed below.
Then we talked about work in progress to establish a common health check system across the OpenStack services. There's an oslo-spec  in progress. The API-SIG's involvement is to help make sure the HTTP side of things is handled well.
As always if you're interested in helping out, in addition to coming to the meetings, there's also:
* The list of bugs  indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines  always need refreshing to account for changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right, submit a patch  to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others .
# Newly Published Guidelines
None this week.
# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze
Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.
* Expand note about rfc5988 link header
# Guidelines Currently Under Review 
* Add guideline on exposing microversions in SDKs
* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and service discovery
Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/
* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
* WIP: Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
# Highlighting your API impacting issues
If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs that you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.
To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our wiki page  and guidelines .
Thanks for reading and see you next week!
Past Meeting Records
Chris Dent (⊙＿⊙') https://anticdent.org/
freenode: cdent tw: @anticdent
More information about the OpenStack-dev