[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Retiring ceilometerclient

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Thu Jan 11 00:18:23 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-10 06:44 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> It's worth pointing out that openstacksdk has ceilometer REST API
>> support in it, although it is special-cased since ceilometer was retired
>> before we even made the service-types-authority:

so ceilometer's REST API does not exist anymore. i don't believe it was
even packaged in Pike (at least i don't have have an rpm for it in my
environment).

>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-openstacksdk/tree/openstack/connection.py#n234
>>
>> We can either keep it there indefinitely (there is no cost to keeping
>> it, other than that one "self._load('metric')" line) - or we could take
>> this opportunity to purge it from sdk as well.
>>
>> BUT - if we're going to remove it from SDK I'd rather we do it in the
>> very-near-future because we're getting closer to a 1.0 for SDK and once
>> that happens if ceilometer is still there ceilometer support will remain
>> until the end of recorded history.

if it was removed from SDK, does it affect installations from pre-Pike?
technically the API code exists prior to Pike (but we've been telling
people for a year+ prior to that, to stop using it). if it only affects
Queens onwards, i'm an easy yes to removing for openstacksdk 1.0.

>> We could keep it and migrate the heat/mistral/rally/aodh
>> ceilometerclient uses to be SDK uses (although heaven knows how we test
>> that without a ceilometer in devstack)

i'm guessing it's not tested anywhere as we've removed the API code for
a few months now and have not heard anyone complain about a broken gate.

> If ceilometer itself is deprecated, do we need to maintain support
> in any of our tools?

just to clarify, ceilometer itself is **not** deprecated. it just
doesn't have an API as there is currently nothing to query/interact with
remotely. jd had an idea how to manage/monitor existing agents but that
is unrealised currently.

the workflow remains as it has been:
- ceilometer agents generate/normalise data relating to openstack resources
- ceilometer data is pushed to a configurable target for consumption
	- gnocchi, panko, whatever you want
- you interact with the data according to the specific targets.

cheers,
--
gord