[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Retiring ceilometerclient

Jon Schlueter jschluet at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 22:10:13 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 4:12 PM, gordon chung <gord at live.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-11-22 04:18 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now that the Ceilometer API is gone, we really don't need
> > ceilometerclient anymore. I've proposed a set of patches to retire it:
> >
> >    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/522183/

So my question here is are we missing a process check for retiring a
project that is still in
the requirements of several other OpenStack projects?

I went poking around and found that rally [4], heat [1], aodh [3] and
mistral [2] still had references to
ceilometerclient in the RPM packaging in RDO Queens, and on digging a
bit more they
were still in the requirements for at least those 4 projects.

I would think that a discussion around retiring a project should also
include at least enumerating
which projects are currently consuming it [5].  That way a little bit
of pressure on those consumers
can be exerted to evaluate their usage of an about to be retired
project.  It shouldn't stop the
discussions around retiring a project just a data point for decision making.

Thanks

Jon Schlueter

[1] https://review.openstack.org/532617 - heat
[2] https://review.openstack.org/532610 - mistral