[openstack-dev] [ResMgmt SIG]Proposal to form Resource Management SIG

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:12:40 UTC 2018

On 01/08/2018 12:26 PM, Zhipeng Huang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With the maturing of resource provider/placement feature landing in
> OpenStack in recent release, and also in light of Kubernetes community
> increasing attention to the similar effort, I want to propose to form a
> Resource Management SIG as a contact point for OpenStack community to
> communicate with Kubernetes Resource Management WG[0] and other related
> SIGs.
>
> The formation of the SIG is to provide a gathering of similar interested
> parties and establish an official channel. Currently we have already
> OpenStack developers actively participating in kubernetes discussion
> (e.g. [1]), we would hope the ResMgmt SIG could further help such
> activities and better align the resource mgmt mechanism, especially the
> data modeling between the two communities (or even more communities with
> similar desire).
>
> I have floated the idea with Jay Pipes and Chris Dent and received
> positive feedback. The SIG will have a co-lead structure so that people
> could spearheading in the area they are most interested in. For example
> for me as Cyborg dev, I will mostly lead in the area of acceleration[2].
>
> If you are also interested please reply to this thread, and let's find a
> efficient way to form this SIG. Efficient means no extra unnecessary
> meetings and other undue burdens.

+1

 From the Nova perspective, the scheduler meeting (which is Mondays at
1400 UTC) is the primary meeting where resource tracking and accounting
issues are typically discussed.

Chris Dent has done a fabulous job recording progress on the resource
providers and placement work over the last couple releases by issuing
status emails to the openstack-dev@ mailing list each Friday.

I think having a bi-weekly cross-project (or even cross-ecosystem if
we're talking about OpenStack+k8s) status email reporting any big events
in the resource tracking world would be useful. As far as regular
meetings for a resource management SIG, I'm +0 on that. I prefer to have
targeted topical meetings over regular meetings.

Best,
-jay