[openstack-dev] [oslo][oslo.log]Error will be occurred if watch_log_file option is true

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 4 14:12:25 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Rikimaru Honjo's message of 2018-01-04 18:22:26 +0900:
> Hello,
>
> The below bug was reported in Masakari's Launchpad.
> I think that this bug was caused by oslo.log.
> (And, the root cause is a bug of pyinotify using by oslo.log. The detail is
> written in the bug report.)
>
> * masakari-api failed to launch due to setting of watch_log_file and log_file
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/masakari/+bug/1740111
>
> There is a possibility that this bug will affects all openstack components using oslo.log.
> (But, the processes working with uwsgi[1] wasn't affected when I tried to reproduce.
> I haven't solved the reason of this yet...)
>
> Could you help us?
> And, what should we do...?
>
> [1]
> e.g. nova-api, cinder-api, keystone...
>
> Best regards,

The bug is in pyinotify. According to the git repo [1] that project
was last updated in June of 2015.  I recommend we move off of
pyinotify entirely, since it appears to be unmaintained.

If there is another library to do the same thing we should switch
to it (there seem to be lots of options [2]). If there is no viable
replacement or fork, we should deprecate that log watching feature
(and anything else for which we use pyinotify) and remove it ASAP.

We'll need a volunteer to do the evaluation and update oslo.log.

Doug

[1] https://github.com/seb-m/pyinotify
[2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=inotify&submit=search