[openstack-dev] [kolla] Ubuntu jobs failed on pike branch due to package dependency

Jeffrey Zhang zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:39:16 UTC 2018

Recently, the Ubuntu jobs on pike branch are red[0]. With some debugging, i
found it is caused by
package dependency.

*Background*

Since we have no time to upgrade ceph from Jewel to Luminous at the end of
pike cycle, we pinned
Ceph to Jewel on pike branch. This works on CentOS, because ceph jewel and
ceph luminous are on
the different repos.

But in Ubuntu Cloud Archive repo, it bump ceph to Luminous. Even though
ceph luminous still exists
on UCA. But since qemu 2.10 depends on ceph luminous, we have to ping qemu
to 2.5 to use ceph Jewel[1].
And this works since then.

*Now Issue*

But recently, UCA changed the libvirt-daemon package dependency, and added
following,

    Package: libvirt-daemon
    Version: 3.6.0-1ubuntu6.2~cloud0
    Breaks: qemu (<< 1:2.10+dfsg-0ubuntu3.4~), qemu-kvm (<<
1:2.10+dfsg-0ubuntu3.4~)

It requires qemu 2.10 now. So dependency is broken and nova-libvirt
container is failed to build.

*Possible Solution*

I think there two possible ways now, but none of them is good.

1. install ceph Luminuous on nova-libvirt container and ceph Jewel in
ceph-* container
2. Bump ceph from jewel to luminous. But this breaks the backport policy,
obviously.

So any idea on this?

[0] https://review.openstack.org/534149
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/526931/