[openstack-dev] [yaql] [tripleo] Backward incompatible change in YAQL minor version

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso amoralej at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 17:10:56 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 1:35 AM, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 04:40:12PM -0500, Dan Prince wrote:
> > Thanks for the update Emilien. A couple of things to add:
> >
> > 1) This was really difficult to pin-point via the Heat stack error
> > message ('list index out of range'). I actually had to go and add
> > LOG.debug statements to Heat to get to the bottom of it. I aim to sync
> > with a few of the Heat folks next week on this to see if we can do
> > better here.
> >
> > 2) I had initially thought it would have been much better to revert
> > the (breaking) change to python-yaql. That said it was from 2016! So I
> > think our window of opportunity for the revert is probably way too
> > large to consider that. Sounds like we need to publish the yaql
> > package more often in RDO, etc. So your patch to update our queries is
> > probably our only option.
>
> I'm keen to sit down at the PTG for a quick discussion on how the
> requirements team can better support RDO (and therefore tripleo) to
> test these OpenStack deliverables sooner.
>
> As you point out the commit was from Aug 2016, which was released in Mar
> 2017.  It was added to upper-constraints almost immediately and
> global-requirements (as the minimum supported version) in Aug 2017.
>
> However, it was only recently added to RDO.
>
> So if there is anything we can do on the requirements team to signal
> these changes that isn't being done already lets work out what it is :)

Recently, we have added a job in post pipeline for openstack/requirements
in https://review.rdoproject.org to
automatically post updates in RDO dependencies repo when changes are
detected in upper-constraints. This
job will try to automatically update the dependencies when possible or
notify to take required manual actions
in some cases.

I expect this will improve dependencies management in RDO in next releases.