[openstack-dev] Debian OpenStack packages switching to Py3 for Queens

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 14:07:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 17:49:37 +0100
Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 02/16/2018 03:42 PM, Petr Kovar wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 09:31:19 +0100
> > Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Since I'm getting some pressure from other DDs to actively remove Py2
> >> support from my packages, I'm very much considering switching all of the
> >> Debian packages for Queens to using exclusively Py3. I would have like
> >> to read some opinions about this. Is it a good time for such move? I
> >> hope it is, because I'd like to maintain as few Python package with Py2
> >> support at the time of Debian Buster freeze.
> >>
> >> Also, doing Queens, I've noticed that os-xenapi is still full of py2
> >> only stuff in os_xenapi/dom0. Can we get those fixes? Here's my patch:
> >>
> >> https://review.openstack.org/544809
> >
> > Hey Thomas, slightly off-topic to this, but would it be a good idea to
> > resurrect OpenStack install guides for Debian if Debian packages are still
> > maintained?
>
> Yes it would. I'm not sure where to start, since all the doc has moved
> to individual projects.

Right, I'd probably start with projects listed in minimal deployment:

https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/openstack-services.html#minimal-deployment

Copying Ubuntu-specific pages might save some time. Old content is
still available from
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/a1f1748478125ccd68d90a98ccc06c7ec359d3a0/doc/install-guide/source.

Best,
pk