[openstack-dev] [yaql] [tripleo] Backward incompatible change in YAQL minor version

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Sat Feb 17 21:40:12 UTC 2018

Thanks for the update Emilien. A couple of things to add:

1) This was really difficult to pin-point via the Heat stack error
message ('list index out of range'). I actually had to go and add
LOG.debug statements to Heat to get to the bottom of it. I aim to sync
with a few of the Heat folks next week on this to see if we can do
better here.

2) I had initially thought it would have been much better to revert
the (breaking) change to python-yaql. That said it was from 2016! So I
think our window of opportunity for the revert is probably way too
large to consider that. Sounds like we need to publish the yaql
package more often in RDO, etc. So your patch to update our queries is
probably our only option.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> Upgrading YAQL from 1.1.0 to 1.1.3 breaks advanced queries with groupBy
> aggregation.
>
> The commit that broke it is
> https://github.com/openstack/yaql/commit/3fb91784018de335440b01b3b069fe45dc53e025
>
> It broke TripleO: https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1750032
> But Alex and I figured (after a strong headache) that we needed to update
> the query like this: https://review.openstack.org/545498
>
> It would be great to avoid this kind of change within minor versions, please
> please.
>
> Happy weekend,
>
> PS: I'm adding YAQL to my linkedin profile right now.

Be careful here. Do you really want to write YAQL queries all day!

Dan