[openstack-dev] Debian OpenStack packages switching to Py3 for Queens

Tobias Urdin tobias.urdin at crystone.com
Fri Feb 16 10:43:27 UTC 2018

On 02/15/2018 08:52 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:

> On 18-02-15 13:38:45, Matthew Thode wrote:
>> On 18-02-15 09:31:19, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since I'm getting some pressure from other DDs to actively remove Py2
>>> support from my packages, I'm very much considering switching all of the
>>> Debian packages for Queens to using exclusively Py3. I would have like
>>> to read some opinions about this. Is it a good time for such move? I
>>> hope it is, because I'd like to maintain as few Python package with Py2
>>> support at the time of Debian Buster freeze.
>>>
>>> Also, doing Queens, I've noticed that os-xenapi is still full of py2
>>> only stuff in os_xenapi/dom0. Can we get those fixes? Here's my patch:
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/544809
>>>
>> Gentoo has Openstack packaged for both python2.7 and python3.(5,6) for
>> pike.  Queens will be the same for us at least, but I haven't had
>> problems with at least the core services running them all through
>> python3.x.
>>
> Edit: Everything BUT swift...

Shimming in with more of an operators view; since a lot of services are
deployed with wsgi in a webserver, mainly a lot of API services, having
a coordinated approach of moving
all those services over to py3 at the same time is appreciated.
Otherwise a lot of the services cannot be co-located on the same machine
and will probably break other projects, for example the Puppet modules.

Same goes for testing all those services in a single node CI test.