[openstack-dev] [tripleo][python3] python3 readiness?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Feb 14 22:14:14 UTC 2018

On 02/14/2018 03:26 PM, Haïkel wrote:
> I agree it won't be simple, we will have to provide those
> repositories, determine how
> we will gate updates, fix puppet modules, POI, etc.. and that's only a
> beginning.
>
> That's why we won't be providing raw Fedora but rather a curated
> version and at some
> point, we'll likely freeze it. That's kinda similar to how EL8 is
> made, but it won't be EL8. :o)

Yeesh, I hadn't looked at it that way, but we would basically be doing
the EL8 process in parallel with the actual EL8.  I assume the reason we
can't use the actual EL8 pre-release whenever it becomes a thing is that
there isn't a corresponding CentOS pre-release that would be usable
upstream?

> Let's say that the time is ticking, if we want to ship a productized
> OpenStack distro on
> Python3, and possibly on EL8 (Hint: I don't know when it will be
> released, and moreover,
> I'm not the one who gets to decide when RHOSP will support EL8), we're
> about to reach
> the point of no-return.

[snarky comment redacted in the interest of keeping my job :-)]