[openstack-dev] [tripleo][python3] python3 readiness?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Feb 14 16:19:50 UTC 2018

On 02/13/2018 10:24 PM, Haïkel wrote:
> RDO has *yet* to choose a plan, and people were invited to work on the
> "stabilized" repository draft [0]. If anyone has a better plan that fits all the
> constraints, please share it asap.
> Whatever the plan, we're launching it with the Rocky cycle.
>
> Among the constraints (but not limited to):
> * EL8 is not available
> * No Python3 on EL7 *and* no allocated resources to maintain it (that includes
> rebuilding/maintaining *all* python modules + libraries)

I have to admit I don't entirely understand this constraint.  CentOS 7
is in support until 2024.  I would think RHEL 7's timeline is similar or
even longer.  If Python 2 is going out of support in 2020, does that
mean there will be no supported Python on CentOS for the last four years
of its lifecycle?

In fact, the more I think about this the more I feel like there's a
fundamental problem with the way we're handling this transition.  We're
not the only ones who are going to feel the pain of having disjoint
Python releases from 7 to 8.  Anyone running a Python application now
gets to not only do a major OS upgrade, but also a major Python upgrade.
  Sure, it's worse for us because we need to support EL 8 at release,
but _everyone_ is going to feel some variation on this pain as they move
forward.

I realize this is a discussion that's probably above my pay grade, but I
feel I would be remiss if I didn't point out that our Python support
strategy seems very flawed.

> * Bridge the gap between EL7 and EL8, Fedora 27/28 are the closest thing we
> have to EL8 [1][2]
> * SCL have a cost (and I cannot yet expose why but not jumping onto the SCL
> bandwagon has proven to be the right bet)
> * Have something stable enough so that upstream gate can use it.
> That's why plan stress that updates will be gated (definition of how
> is still open)
> * Manage to align planets so that we can ship version X of OpenStack [3] on EL8
> without additional delay
>
> Well, I cannot say that I can't relate to what you're saying, though. [4]

Indeed.  This sounds like a pub track discussion if I ever heard one. :-)