[openstack-dev] [infra] [all] project pipeline definition should stay in project-config or project side ?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Tue Feb 13 15:06:10 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:05:34PM +0900, gmann wrote:
> Hi Infra Team,
>
> I have 1 quick question on zuulv3 jobs and their migration part. From
> zuulv3 doc [1], it is clear about migrating the job definition and use
> those among cross repo pipeline etc.
>
> But I did not find clear recommendation that whether project's
> pipeline definition should stay in project-config or we should move
> that to project side.
>
> IMO,
> 'template' part(which has system level jobs) can stay in
> project-config. For example below part-
>
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/e2b82623a4ab60261b37a91e311118301927b9b6/zuul.d/projects.yaml#L10507-L10523
>
> Other pipeline definition- 'check', 'gate', 'experimental' etc should
> be move to project repo, mainly this list-
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/master/zuul.d/projects.yaml#L10524-L11019
>
> If we move those past as mentioned above then, we can have a
> consolidated place to control the project pipeline for
> 'irrelevant-files', specific branch etc
>
> ..1 https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html

As it works today, pipeline stanza needs to be in a config project[1]
(project-config) repo. So what you are suggestion will not work. This was done
to allow zuul admins to control which pipelines are setup / configured.

I am mostly curious why a project would need to modify a pipeline configuration
or duplicate it into all projects, over having it central located in
project-config.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/zuul/user/config.html#pipeline