[openstack-dev] [ironic][neutron] bare metal on vxlan network

Mitchell Jameson mitchell at arista.com
Thu Feb 8 17:23:11 UTC 2018

Hi Moshe,

I'm not aware of any mechanism drivers that actually create the VTEP (that
will be a manual step,) but there are drivers that support Hierarchical
Port Binding [1]. The networking-arista mechanism driver [2] is one such
driver, but there are others. Such drivers will configure a VLAN to VNI
mapping on switches based on the segmentation IDs of the neutron network
segments bound at each port binding level.

In such a deployment, you'd create a VXLAN network in neutron. You could
then launch a baremetal instance on that network. The mechanism driver will
then be responsible for dynamically allocating a VLAN for the
baremetal<->TOR switch segment and mapping that VLAN to the VXLAN network's
VNI on the TOR switch such that the baremetal instance is connected to the
VXLAN fabric segment.

[1] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/
specs/kilo/ml2-hierarchical-port-binding.html
[2] https://github.com/openstack/networking-arista