[openstack-dev] [TripleO][ui] config-download (ansible deployment) by default in Rocky

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 13:45:45 UTC 2018

One of the things I hope to accomplish in Rocky is to switch to the
config-download[1] ansible driven deployment mechanism by default.

We made a lot of great progress during Queens, including switching
over several of our CI jobs such as containers-multinode and ovb-ha
(among a few others).

I have filed several blueprints to track the remaining work. They can
all be seen linked as related dependencies from the final task:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/non-config-download-deprecate

The final task is to deprecate the non-config-download deploy
mechanism. This is critical because we only want to be supporting a
single mechanism, so we really need to switch to config-download as
the new default *and* deprecate the previous method.

I'll briefly list the other blueprints:

UI support: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/config-download-ui
ceph-ansible to use external_deploy_tasks:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/ceph-ansible-external-deploy-tasks
octavia to use external_deploy_tasks:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/octavia-external-deploy-tasks
skydive to use external_deploy_tasks:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/skydive-external-deploy-tasks
deprecate workflow_tasks:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/deprecate-workflow-tasks

(there will probably be others)

During Rocky, it will probably be helpful to organize our work around
a squad, with an etherpad to help track and report high level status.
I'll set this up this week. If you plan to participate with this work,
please let me know.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/install/advanced_deployment/ansible_config_download.html

--
-- James Slagle