[openstack-dev] [cyborg][ptl]PTL Candidacy for Rocky

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 01:49:24 UTC 2018

Hi Team,

I would like to express my interest in continuing to serve as PTL of Cyborg
project for Rocky release.

I know we have been in a fanatic state for our first release preparation,
but when I looked back to the early days when nomad (cyborg's prelife)
project kicks off, I feel I'm blessed to be able to work with such a great
community and a great dev team, to get where we are now.

We took it in our pride that cyborg is one of the few project that is grown
entirely in the OpenStack community from the very beginning: no vendor code
dump, design discussion from scratch, write every bit of code from zero.
Heck we even changed the project name based upon team voting/consensus.

I have to admit I also had doubt on how a project like cyborg will really
survive, given that we rely so heavily on community effort rather than
single vendor human resource investment which is often guaranteed. And also
the problem that we are such a young team that none of us  is veteran
OpenStacker. I'm then hugely encouraged and fascinated by how far we are
able to get.

For Pike, the three core members from three different companies came up
with the basic framework. And for Queens, with more devs joining we will
pulled of *our own first implementation of the nested resource provider*, *a
basic interaction framework between cyborg-conductor and nova-placement*, *a
generic driver that will be a reference implementation for vendor drivers*,*
Intel FPGA driver* (our first vendor driver !), *SPDK driver *(the first
software accelerator driver !), *cyborg-agent resource tracker*, and so on
and so forth. I can't really ask more from this amazing team.

Moreover for the First Contact SIG initiative, we also established a
vibrant Cyborg China Dev community via Wechat group and  held many ad-hoc
meetings. This effort has helped tremendously on our Queens delivery in the
making. We also joined with Nova team to kickoff the Resource Management
SIG which will help align the resource data modeling across OpenStack and
other related open source communities.

With Queens release work still lingering around, the plan for Rocky was
actually bounced over several times during team discussion, and here are
the items that in my mind are important target:
(1) Adopt MS based development cadence. Queens was a chaotic process and I
think we learnt a hard lesson from it
(2) Finishing up the implementation for Nova-Cyborg interaction spec.
(3) Quota and multi-tenancy support
(4) FPGA Programmability support.
(5) NVIDIA GPU/ARM SoC driver support
(6) Meta data standardization. We might take a lesson from Device Tree.
(7) Containerization support for Kubernetes DPI plugin.

Thanks for your patience on reading through this long email. Again I want
to express my will to continue serving cyborg project in Rocky and look
forward to your support or any questions you might have.

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado