[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] Freezing placement for extraction

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:42:51 UTC 2018

On 8/31/2018 9:41 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> Apologies for having missed the large and wide discussions about
> placement future in the past weeks. I was off so I just saw the
> consensus yesterday evening my time.
> Now that disclaimer is done, can I know the reasoning why we call the
> freeze as of now and not waiting for either Stein-2 or Stein-3 ?

If we're going to do the extraction in Stien, which we said we'd do in
Dublin, we need to start that as early as possible to iron out any
deployment bugs in the switch. We can't wait until the 2nd or 3rd
milestone, it would be too risky.

> My main concern is that the reshaper series is still being reviewed for
> Nova. Some other changes using Placement (like drivers using nested
> Resource Providers and the likes) are also not yet implemented (or even
> be uploaded) and I'm a bit afraid of us discovering yet another
> cross-services problem (say with having two distinct computes having
> different versions) that would make the fix more harder than just fixing
> directly.

The Placement-side changes for the reshaper changes are merged. The
framework code for compute is either merged or on it's way. The
outstanding changes for reshaper are:

1. libvirt and xenapi driver changes to use it - remember me emailing
you and the xen team about this last week? We couldn't hold up the
existing patches forever.

2. The offline migration stuff for FFU (I believe Dan was signed up for
that).

3. Docs and whatever other polishing is needed.

So there is nothing related to reshaper that should block Placement
extraction happening at this point. Sure we could hit some very weird
bug once the driver implementation happens - that's a risk we talked
about last week when we removed the -2 from the Placement API change,
but again, without people around to work on the driver changes, we can't
just sit and hold forever because that pushes out the extraction which
makes delivering a smooth upgrade for the extraction during stein
riskier, so pick your poison.

Matt