[openstack-dev] [tripleo] quickstart for humans

Dougal Matthews dougal at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 12:17:00 UTC 2018

On 31 August 2018 at 12:11, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Honza Pokorny <honza at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Over the last few months, it seems that tripleo-quickstart has evolved
> > into a CI tool.  It's primarily used by computers, and not humans.
> > tripleo-quickstart is a helpful set of ansible playbooks, and a
> > collection of feature sets.  However, it's become less useful for
> > setting up development environments by humans.  For example, devmode.sh
> > was recently deprecated without a user-friendly replacement. Moreover,
> > during some informal irc conversations in #oooq, some developers even
> > mentioned the plan to merge tripleo-quickstart and tripleo-ci.
>
> I was recently directed to the reproducer-quickstart.sh script that's
> written in the logs directory for all oooq CI jobs - does that help as
> a replacement for the previous devmode interface?
>
> Not that familiar with it myself but it seems to target many of the
> use-cases you mention e.g uniform reproducer for issues, potentially
> quicker way to replicate CI results?

It is very good for that. However, the problem I have with reproducer
scripts is that they are tied to the CI output. If I am working on a patch,
the only way I know to get a reproducer is to submit the patch and then
wait for CI to finish and then run the script again myself.

It would be very useful if I there was a tool where I could run a specific
CI job, with a gerrit patch included (or even a local change would be more
amazing!). Perhaps even a reproducer script generator would do the job.