[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] Freezing placement for extraction

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Thu Aug 30 16:34:03 UTC 2018

Greetings.

The captains of placement extraction have declared readiness to begin
the process of seeding the new repository (once [1] has finished
merging). As such, we are freezing development in the affected portions
of the openstack/nova repository until this process is completed. We're
relying on our active placement reviewers noticing any patches that
touch these "affected portions" and, if that reviewer is not a nova
core, bringing them to the attention of one, so we can put a -2 on it.

Once the extraction is complete [2], any such frozen patches should be
abandoned and reproposed to the openstack/placement repository.

Since there will be an interval during which placement code will exist
in both repositories, but before $world has cut over to using
openstack/placement, it is possible that some crucial fix will still
need to be merged into the openstack/nova side. In this case, the fix
must be proposed to *both* repositories, and the justification for its
existence in openstack/nova made clear.

For more details on the technical aspects of the extraction process,
refer to this thread [3].

For information on the procedural/governance process we will be
following, see [4].

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns, either via
this thread or in #openstack-placement.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/597220/
[2] meaning that we've merged the initial glut of patches necessary to
repath everything and get tests passing
[3]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/133781.html
[4] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/creators.html