[openstack-dev] [neutron] tox-siblings alternative for local testing

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:53:30 UTC 2018

On 8/30/18 5:49 AM, Michel Peterson wrote:

> There are pre releases available in PyPI [1]. You can use those from
> your requirements like we did in n-odl [2].
>
> That might be an acceptable solution.
>
> [1] https://pypi.org/project/neutron/#history

IIUC, I don't think consuming pre-releases is really a solution; it's a
work-around for this particular case.

Any solution should be pulling the appropriate dependencies from source;
mimicking what tox-siblings does. This ensures the local testing is done
on the latest source regardless of what's on PYPI (a point-in-time
snapshot of the code).

I believe the same applies to [2] in your email; things aren't going to
work as expected locally until you account for pulling from source.

We can discuss this more at the PTG, but moving forward I think any
projects wanting to get the neutron-lib consumption patches (for free)
will need to make sure they have tox/zuul setup properly for both local
and gate testing.