[openstack-dev] [keystone] [barbican] Keystone's use of Barbican ?

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 18:29:13 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 1:16 PM Waines, Greg <Greg.Waines at windriver.com>
wrote:

> Makes sense.
>

> So what is the recommended upstream approach for securely storing user
> passwords in keystone ?

Keystone will hash passwords before persisting them in their own table.
Encrypted passwords are never stored.

> Is that what is being described here ?
> https://docs.openstack.org/keystone/pike/admin/identity-credential-encryption.html

This is a separate mechanism for storing secrets, not necessarily passwords
(although I agree the term credentials automatically makes people assume
passwords). This is used if consuming keystone's native MFA implementation.
For example, storing a shared secret between the user and keystone that is
provided as a additional authentication method along with a username and
password combination.