[openstack-dev] [TripleO] podman: varlink interface for nice API calls

Rabi Mishra ramishra at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 10:16:31 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Sergii Golovatiuk <sgolovat at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 5:32 AM, Rabi Mishra <ramishra at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 7:31 AM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:
> Steve mentioned kubectl (kubernetes CLI which communicates with

Not sure what he meant. May be I miss something, but not heard of 'kubectl
standalone', though he might have meant standalone k8s cluster on every
node as you think.

> kube-api) not kubelet which is only one component of kubernetes. All
> kubernetes components may be compiled as one binary (hyperkube) which
> can be used to minimize footprint. Generated ansible for kubelet is
> not enough as kubelet doesn't have any orchestration logic.

What orchestration logic do we've with TripleO atm? AFAIK we've provide
roles data for service placement across nodes, right?
I see standalone kubelet as a first step for scheduling openstack services
with in k8s cluster in the future (may be).

> >> This was a while ago now so this could be worth revisiting in the
> future.
> >> We'll be making gradual changes, the first of which is using podman to
> >> manage single containers. However podman has native support for the pod
> >> format, so I'm hoping we can switch to that once this transition is
> >> complete. Then evaluating kubectl becomes much easier.

> >> We're not writing a middle layer, we're leveraging one which is already
> >> there.
> >>
> >> CRI-O is a socket interface and podman is a CLI interface that both sit
> on
> >> top of the exact same Go libraries. At this point, switching to podman
> needs
> >> a much lower development effort because we're replacing docker CLI
> calls.
> >>
> > I see good value in evaluating kubelet standalone and leveraging it's
> > inbuilt grpc interfaces with cri-o (rather than using podman) as a long
> term
> > strategy, unless we just want to provide an alternative to docker
> container
> > runtime with cri-o.
>
> I see no value using kubelet without kubernetes IMHO.

Regards,
Rabi Mishra