[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Disabling nova volume-update (aka swap volume; aka cinder live migration)

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 09:16:22 UTC 2018

On 24/08, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 8/22/2018 4:46 AM, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
> > The solution is conceptually simple.  We add a new API microversion in
> > Cinder that adds and optional parameter called "generic_keep_source"
> > (defaults to False) to both migrate and retype operations.
>
> But if the problem is that users are not using the retype API and instead
> are hitting the compute swap volume API instead, they won't use this new
> parameter anyway. Again, retype is admin-or-owner but volume migration (in
> cinder) and swap volume (in nova) are both admin-only, so are admins calling
> swap volume directly or are people easing up the policy restrictions so
> non-admins can use these migration APIs?
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Hi,

These are two different topics, and I thought we had already closed that
part of the discussion.  Nova needs to fix that issue, a good option
could be not allowing non Cinder callers to do that operation.

As mbooth mentioned, these issues come from real user needs, and this is
a different topic, and the topic I was talking about with the proposed
solution.  I agree with mbooth that we should find a way to address
these customer needs, even if it's in a limited way.

Cheers,
Gorka.