[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] extraction (technical) update

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Aug 24 16:25:02 UTC 2018

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Chris Dent wrote:

> That work is in gerrit at
>
>    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/596291/
>
> with a hopefully clear commit message about what's going on. As with
> the rest of this work, this is not something to merge, rather an
> experiment to learn from. The hot spots in the changes are
> relatively limited and about what you would expect so, with luck,
> should be pretty easy to deal with, some of them even before we
> actually do any extracting (to enhance the boundaries between the
> two services).

After some prompting from gibi, that code has now been adjusted so
that requirements.txt and tox.ini [1] make sure that the extract
placement branch is installed into the test virtualenvs. So in the
gate the unit and functional tests pass. Other jobs do not because
of [1].

In the intervening time I've taken that code, built a devstack that
uses a nova-placement-api wsgi script that uses nova.conf and the
extracted placement code. It runs against the nova-api database.

Created a few servers. Worked.

Then I switched the devstack at placement-unit unit file to point to
the placement-api wsgi script, and configured
/etc/placement/placement.conf to have a
[placement_database]/connection of the nova-api db.

Created a few servers. Worked.

Thanks.

[1] As far as I can tell a requirements.txt entry of

     -e git+https://github.com/cdent/placement-1.git@cd/make-it-work#egg=placement

will install just fine with 'pip install -r requirements.txt', but
if I do 'pip install nova' and that line is in requirements.txt it
does not work. This means I had to change tox.ini to have a deps
setting of:

     deps = -r{toxinidir}/test-requirements.txt
            -r{toxinidir}/requirements.txt

to get the functional and unit tests to build working virtualenvs.
That this is not happening in the dsvm-based zuul jobs mean that the
tests can't run or pass. What's going on here? Ideas?