[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee status for 23 August

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Aug 23 13:19:18 UTC 2018

This is the weekly summary of work being done by the Technical
Committee members. The full list of active items is managed in the
wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

Project updates:

- The RefStack team was dissolved, and the repositories transfered
  to the interop working group.
- Added the qinling-dashboard repository to Qinling project:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/591559/
- The rst2bash repository has been retired:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/592293/
- Added the os-ken repository to the Neutron project:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/588358/

== PTG Planning ==

The TC is soon going to finalize the topics for presentations to
be given around lunch time at the PTG. If you have suggestions,
please add them to the etherpad.

- https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PTG4-postlunch

There will be 2 TC meetings during the PTG week. See
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-tc/2018-August/001544.html
for details.

== Leaderless teams after PTL elections ==

We approved all of the volunteers as appointed PTLs and rejected
the proposals to drop Freezer and Searchlight from governance. Thank
you to all of the folks who have stepped up to serve as PTL for
Stein!

We also formalized the process for appointing PTLs to avoid the
confusion we had this time around.

- https://review.openstack.org/590790

== Ongoing Discussions ==

The draft technical vision has gathered a good bit of feedback.
This will be a major topic of discussion for us before and during
the PTG.

- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/592205/

We have spent a lot of time this week thinking about and discussing
the nova/placement split. As things stand, it seems the nova team
considers it too early to spin placement out of the team's purview,
but it is likely that it will be moved to its own repository during
Stein. This leaves some of us concerned about issues like contributors'
self-determination and trust between teams within the community,
so I expect more discussion to occur before a conclusion is reached.

- http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-20.log.html#t2018-08-20T15:27:57
- http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/133445.html

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

The PTG is approaching quickly. Please complete any remaining team
health checks.

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

- 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
- 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
- 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

You will find channel logs with past conversations at
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.