[openstack-dev] [glance][horizon] Issues we found when using Community Images

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Aug 23 00:26:07 UTC 2018

On 08/22/2018 04:31 PM, Andy Botting wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've recently moved to using Glance's community visibility on the
> Nectar Research Cloud. We had lots of public images (12255), and we
> found it was becoming slow to list them all and the community image
> visibility seems to fit our use-case nicely.
>
> We moved all of our user's images over to become community images, and
> left our 'official' images as the only public ones.
>
> We found a few issues, which I wanted to document, if anyone else is
> looking at doing the same thing.
>
> -> Glance API has no way of returning all images available to me in a
> single API request (https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1779251)
> The default list of images is perfect (all available to me, except
> community), but there's a heap of cases where you need to fetch all
> images including community. If we did have this, my next points would be
> a whole lot easier to solve.
>
> -> Horizon's support for Community images is very lacking
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1779250)
> On the surface, it looks like Community images are supported in Horizon,
> but it's only as far as listing images in the Images tab. Trying to boot
> a Community image from the Launch Instance wizard is actually
> impossible, as community images don't appear in that list at all. The
> images tab in Horizon dynamically builds the list of images on the
> Images tab through new Glance API calls when you use any filters (good).
> In contrast, the source tab on the Launch Images wizard loads all images
> at the start (slow with lots of images), then relies on javascript
> client-side filtering of the list. I've got a dirty patch to fix this
> for us by basically making two Glance API requests (one without
> specifying visibility, and another with visibility=community), then
> merging the data. This would be better handled the same way as the
> Images tab, with new Glance API requests when filtering.
>
> -> Users can't set their own images as Community from the dashboard
> Should be relatively easy to add this. I'm hoping to look into fixing
> this soon.
>
> -> Murano / Sahara image discovery
> These projects rely on images to be chosen when creating new
> environments, and it looks like they use a glance list for their
> discovery. They both suffer from the same issue and require their images
> to be non-community for them to find their images.
>
> -> Openstack Client didn't support listing community images at all
> (https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2001925
> <https://storyboard.openstack.org/#%21/story/2001925>)
> It did support setting images to community, but support for actually
> listing them was missing.  Support has  now been added, but not sure if
> it's made it to a release yet.

We've got a few more things I want to do related to images, sdk,
openstackclient *and* horizon to make rollouts like this a bit better.

I'm betting when I do that I shoujld add murano, sahara and heat to the
list.

We're currently having to add the new support in like 5 places, which is
where some of the holes come from. Hopefully we'll get stuff solid on
that front soon - but thanks for the feedback!

> Apart from these issues, our migration was pretty successful with
> minimal user complaints.

\o/