[openstack-dev] Redis licensing terms changes

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Wed Aug 22 14:37:17 UTC 2018

Hmm...

http://antirez.com/news/120

Today a page about the new Creative Common license in the Redis Labs web
site was interpreted as if Redis itself switched license. This is not
the case, Redis is, and will remain, BSD licensed. However in the fake
news era my attempts to provide the correct information failed, and I’m
still seeing everywhere “Redis is no longer open source”. The reality is
that Redis remains BSD, and actually Redis Labs did the right thing
supporting my effort to keep the Redis core open as usually.

What is happening instead is that certain Redis modules, developed
inside Redis Labs, are now released under the Common Clause (using
Apache license as a base license). This means that basically certain
enterprise add-ons, instead of being completely closed source as they
could be, will be available with a more permissive license.