[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Wed Aug 22 10:42:34 UTC 2018

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org>
wrote:

> So my hope is that (in no particular order) Jay Pipes, Eric Fried,
> Takashi Natsume, Tetsuro Nakamura, Matt Riedemann, Andrey Volkov,
> Alex Xu, Balazs Gibizer, Ed Leafe, and any other contributor to
> placement whom I'm forgetting [1] would express their preference on
> what they'd like to see happen.

+1 for separate git repository
+1 for initializing the placement-core with nova-core team
+1 for talking separately about incuding more cores to the
placement-core

I'm for taking incremental steps. So if the git repo separation can ben
done independently of the project separation then why not do the step
first we seems to be agreeing with.

I think allowing the placement-core team to diverge from the nova-core
team will help in many ways to talk about the project separate:
* more core reviewers for placement-> more review bandwidth for
placement-> less review need from nova-cores on placement code -> more
time for nova-cores to propose solutions for remaining big nova induced
placement changes (affinity, quota) and implement support in nova for
existing placement features (consumer gen, nested RP, granular resource
request)
* possibility to include reviews to the placement core team (over time)
with other, placement-using module background (cinder, neutron, cyborg,
etc.) -> fresh viewpoints about the direction of placement from
placement API consumers
* a divers core team will allow us to test the water about feature
priorization conflicts if any.

I'm not against making two steps at the same time and doing the project
separation _if_ there are some level of consensus amongst the
interested parties. But based on this long mail thread we don't have
that yet. So I suggest to do the repo and core team change only now and
spend time gathering experience having the evolved placement-core team.

Cheers,
gibi