[openstack-dev] Redis licensing terms changes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 22 08:45:20 UTC 2018

Haïkel wrote:
> I haven't seen this but I'd like to point that Redis moved to an open
> core licensing model.
> https://redislabs.com/community/commons-clause/
>
> In short:
> * base engine remains under BSD license
> * modules move to ASL 2.0 + commons clause which is non-free
> (prohibits sales of derived products)

Beyond the sale of a derived product, it prohibits selling hosting of or
providing consulting services on anything that depend on it... so it's
pretty broad.

> IMHO, projects that rely on Redis as default driver, should consider
> alternatives (off course, it's up to them).

The TC stated in the past that default drivers had to be open source, so
if anything depends on commons-claused Redis modules, they would
probably have to find an alternative...

Which OpenStack components are affected ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)