[openstack-dev] [goal][python3] dealing with new jobs failing on old branches

Nguyễn Trí Hải nguyentrihai93 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 05:52:24 UTC 2018

Hi,

I figured out that we also can submit a patch to fix failure job in the old
branches, particularly, the docs job.
However, I still struggle with the failure of py27 or py35 jobs.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:17 PM Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> Goal champions,
>
> Most of the jobs in the project-templates do not have branch
> specifiers.  That allows us to add a job to a repository and then
> not realize that it doesn't work on an old branch. We're finding
> some of those with this zuul migration (for example,
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/593012/ and
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/593016/).
>
> To deal with these, we need to remove that job or template from the
> repository's settings in the project-config repository, and not include
> it in the import patches.
>
> 1. First we want to wait for the team to land as many of the unaltered
>    import patches as possible, so those jobs stay on the master branch
>    and recent stable branches where they work.
>
> 2. Then, propose a patch to project-config to remove just the problem jobs
>    and templates from the repositories where they are a problem.
>
> 3. Then, rebase the patch that removes all of a team's project settings
>    on top of the one created in step 2.
>
> 4. Finally, modify the import patch(es) on the older stable branches
>    where the jobs fail and remove the jobs or templates that cause
>    problems.  Set those patches to depend on the patch created in
>    step 2, since they cannot land without the project-config change.
>
> Doug

Nguyen Tri Hai / Ph.D. Student

ANDA Lab., Soongsil Univ., Seoul, South Korea

<https://www.facebook.com/nguyentrihai>
<http://linkedin.com/in/nguyentrihai>
<https://www.facebook.com/nguyentrihai>*[image:
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-26135-5_4]