[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Aug 21 17:18:40 UTC 2018

Heh. And some things don't change...

Having a large project such as OpenStack, made up of large numbers of volunteers, each with their own desires means it will be impossible to make everyone happy all of the time.

For the good of the community, the community needs to decide on a common direction, and sometimes individuals need to be asked to go against their own desires for the betterment of the entire community. Yes, that risks an individual contributor leaving. But if it really is in the best interest of the community, others will continue on.

We've ignored that for so long, we've built a huge system on letting individuals set their own course without common direction and with their own desires. The projects don't integrate as well as they should, the whole of OpenStack gets overly complex and unwieldy to use or worse, large gaps in user needed functionality, and users end up leaving.

I'm really sure at this point that you can't have a project as large as OpenStack without leadership setting a course and sometimes making hard choices for the betterment of the whole. That doesn't mean a benevolent dictator. But our self govened model with elected officials should be a good balance. If they are too unreasonable, they don't get reelected. But not leading isn't an option either anymore.

Thanks,
Kevin