[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova][cinder] Disabling nova volume-update (aka swap volume; aka cinder live migration)

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 10:36:28 UTC 2018

On 20-08-18 16:29:52, Matthew Booth wrote:
> For those who aren't familiar with it, nova's volume-update (also
> called swap volume by nova devs) is the nova part of the
> implementation of cinder's live migration (also called retype).
> Volume-update is essentially an internal cinder<->nova api, but as
> that's not a thing it's also unfortunately exposed to users. Some
> users have found it and are using it, but because it's essentially an
> internal cinder<->nova api it breaks pretty easily if you don't treat
> it like a special snowflake. It looks like we've finally found a way
> it's broken for non-cinder callers that we can't fix, even with a
> dirty hack.

> data on <old> volume to <new> volume, then seamlessly swaps the
> will not notice anything at all as the hypervisor swaps the storage
> backing an attached volume underneath it.
>
> When called by cinder, as intended, cinder does some post-operation
> cleanup such that <old> is deleted and <new> inherits the same
> volume_id; that is <old> effectively becomes <new>. When called any
> other way, however, this cleanup doesn't happen, which breaks a bunch
> of assumptions. One of these is that a disk's serial number is the
> same as the attached volume_id. Disk serial number, in KVM at least,
> is immutable, so can't be updated during volume-update. This is fine
> if we were called via cinder, because the cinder cleanup means the
> volume_id stays the same. If called any other way, however, they no
> longer match, at least until a hard reboot when it will be reset to
> the new volume_id. It turns out this breaks live migration, but
> probably other things too. We can't think of a workaround.
>
> I wondered why users would want to do this anyway. It turns out that
> sometimes cinder won't let you migrate a volume, but nova
> volume-update doesn't do those checks (as they're specific to cinder
> internals, none of nova's business, and duplicating them would be
> fragile, so we're not adding them!). Specifically we know that cinder
> won't let you migrate a volume with snapshots. There may be other
> reasons. If cinder won't let you migrate your volume, you can still
> move your data by using nova's volume-update, even though you'll end
> up with a new volume on the destination, and a slightly broken
> instance. Apparently the former is a trade-off worth making, but the
> latter has been reported as a bug.
>
> I'd like to make it very clear that nova's volume-update, isn't
> expected to work correctly except when called by cinder. Specifically
> there was a proposal that we disable volume-update from non-cinder
> callers in some way, possibly by asserting volume state that can only
> be set by cinder. However, I'm also very aware that users are calling
> volume-update because it fills a need, and we don't want to trap data
> that wasn't previously trapped.
>
> Firstly, is anybody aware of any other reasons to use nova's
> volume-update directly?
>
> Secondly, is there any reason why we shouldn't just document then you
> [...]

I'm definitely in favor of hiding this from users eventually but
wouldn't this require some form of deprecation cycle?

Warnings within the API documentation would also be useful and even
something we could backport to stable to highlight just how fragile this
API is ahead of any policy change.

Cheers,

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76