[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 01:23:49 UTC 2018

On 8/20/2018 8:08 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 8/20/2018 6:42 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
>> It was said in the #openstack-tc discussions, but for those on the
>> mailing list, the biggest concern among the Nova core developers is
>> that the consensus among Placement cores will certainly not align with
>> the needs of Nova. I personally think that's ridiculous, and, as one
>> of the very opinionated people involved, a bit insulting. No one wants
>> to see either Nova or Placement to fail.
>
> I believe you're paraphrasing what I said, and I never said I was
> speaking for all nova core developers. I don't think anyone working on
> placement would intentionally block things nova needs or try to see nova
> fail.

Here is an example of the concern. In Sydney we talked about adding
types to the consumers resource in placement so that nova could use
placement for counting quotas [1]. Chris considered it a weird hack but
it's pretty straight-forward from a nova consumption point of view. So
if placement were separately governed with let's say Chris as PTL, would
something like that become a holy war type issue because it's "weird"
and convolutes the desire for a minimalist API? I think Chris' stance on
this particular item has softened over time as more of a "meh" but it's
a worry about extracting with a separate team that is against changes
because they are not ideal for Placement yet are needed for a consumer
of Placement. I understand this is likely selfish on the part of the
nova people that want this (including myself) and maybe close-minded to
alternative solutions to the problem (I'm not sure if it's all been
thought out end-to-end yet, Mel would likely know the latest on this
item). Anyway, I like to have examples when I'm stating something to
gain understanding, so that's what I'm trying to do here - explain, with
an example, what I said in the tc channel discussion today.

[1] Line 55 https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/SYD-forum-nova-placement-update

Matt