[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 22:44:36 UTC 2018

On 8/20/2018 5:40 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
> That detail aside, the question is still valid: did the split from working within the Nova project to working as an independent project have positive or negative effects? Or both?

I'm sure the answer has got to be "both", right? Neutron integration
with nova took several years. Just stabilizing neutron and getting it to
the point of being able to run in production took a long time (I'm not
an operator but I'm sure there are operators that can attest to this -
hell it was even a performance/race problem in our gate for a long
time). Where we're at now, and have been for the last several cycles,
neutron is great* and I'm glad it's separate. But everyone working in
both projects knew it took a long time to get there.

*I still have to read the manual every time I want to create a port from
scratch, but hey...

Matt