[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 22:41:09 UTC 2018

On 8/17/2018 11:09 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> This reluctance on having it part of Nova may be real or just perceived, but
> with it within Nova it will likely be an uphill battle for some time convincing
> other projects that it is a nicely separated common service that they can use.

Cyborg, Ironic and Neutron are all already involved in interfacing with
placement to get things done in nova. I assume the majority of people
that have a perception that it's part of nova don't know enough about
it, or don't realize that placement is a separate service type entry in
the service catalog. When you're talking to placement, you're not
talking to nova. The code is just in the nova repo and the core team is
the nova core team. The code was written as separate as possible from
the start so it could be extracted to its own repo (no RPC usage for
example with the nova services). The core team issue is a community
problem at this point, which is the main source of conflict on whether
or not placement remains within the compute program, at least for some
interim, or if it's directly extracted into it's own program in governance.

Matt