[openstack-dev] networking-vpp 18.07 for VPP 18.07 is now available

Naveen Joy (najoy) najoy at cisco.com
Sat Aug 18 01:28:26 UTC 2018

Hello Everyone,

In conjunction with the release of VPP 18.07, we'd like to invite you all to try out networking-vpp 18.07 for VPP 18.07.
As many of you may already know, VPP is a fast userspace forwarder based on the DPDK toolkit, and uses vector packet processing algorithms to minimize the CPU time spent on each packet to maximize throughput.

Networking-vpp is a ML2 mechanism driver that controls VPP on your control and compute hosts to provide fast L2 forwarding under Neutron.

This version has the below additional enhancements, along with supporting the latest VPP 18.07 APIs:
- Network Trunking
- Tap-as-a-Service (Taas)

Both the above features are experimental in this release.
Along with this, there have been the usual upkeep as Neutron versions and VPP APIs change, bug fixes, code and test improvements.

The README [1] explains more about the above features and how you can try out VPP using devstack:
the devstack plugin will deploy the mechanism driver and VPP itself and should give you a working system with a minimum of hassle.

We will be continuing our development between now and VPP's 18.10 release. There are several features we're planning to work on and we will keep you updated through our bugs list [2].
We welcome anyone who would like to come help us.

Everyone is welcome to join our biweekly IRC meetings, every other Monday (the next one is due this Monday at 0900 PST = 1600 GMT.
--
Ian & Naveen

[1]https://github.com/openstack/networking-vpp/blob/master/README.rst
[2]http://goo.gl/i3TzAt