[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Technical Vision statement: feedback sought

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 21:05:53 UTC 2018

The TC has undertaken to attempt to write a technical vision statement
for OpenStack that documents the community's consensus on what we're
trying to build. To date the only thing we've had to guide us is the
mission statement[1], which is exactly one sentence long and uses
undefined terms (like 'cloud'). That can lead to diverging perspectives
and poor communication.

No group is charged with designing OpenStack at a high level - it is the
sum of what individual teams produce. So the only way we're going to end
up with a coherent offering is if we're all moving in the same direction.

The TC has also identified that we're having conversations about whether
a new project fits with the OpenStack mission too late - only after the
project applies to become official. We're hoping that updates to this
document can provide a mechanism to have those conversations earlier.

A first draft review is now available for comment:

https://review.openstack.org/592205

We're soliciting feedback on the review, on the mailing list, on IRC
during TC office hours or any time that's convenient to you in
#openstack-tc, and during the PTG in Denver.

If the vision as written broadly matches yours then we'd like to hear
from you, and if it does not we *need* to hear from you. The goal is to
have something that the entire community can buy into, and although that
means not everyone will be able to get their way on every topic we are
more than willing to make changes in order to find consensus. Everything
is up for grabs, including the form and structure of the document itself.

cheers,
Zane.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/introduction.html#the-mission