[openstack-dev] [all] Personal tool patterns in .gitignore cookiecutter

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Aug 16 18:31:28 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 06:24:22PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> contributors in various projects, I've submitted a change[*] for the
> openstack-dev/cookiecutter .gitignore template inserting a comment
> which recommends against including patterns related to personal
> choices of tooling (arbitrary editors, IDEs, operating systems...).
> It includes one suggestion for a popular alternative (creating a
> personal excludesfile specific to the tools you use), but there are
> of course multiple ways it can be solved.
>
> This is not an attempt to set policy, but merely provides a
> recommended default for new repositories in hopes that projects can
> over time reduce some of the noise related to unwanted .gitignore
> additions. If it merges, projects who disagree with this default can
> of course modify or remove the comment at the top of the file as
> they see fit when bootstrapping content for a new repository.
> Projects with existing repositories on which they'd like to apply
> this can also easily copy the comment text or port the patch.
>
> If there seems to be some consensus that this change is appreciated,
> I'll remove the WIP flag and propose similar changes to our other
> cookiecutters for consistency.
>
> [*] https://review.openstack.org/592520
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

The comments match my personal preference, and I do see it is just advisory, so
it is not mandating any policy that must be followed by all projects. I think
it is a good comment to include if for no other reason than to potentially
inform folks that there are other ways to address this than copying and pasting
the same change to every repo.