[openstack-dev] [TripleO] podman: varlink interface for nice API calls

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 20:01:09 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:31 PM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> More seriously here: there is an ongoing effort to converge the tools
> around containerization within Red Hat, and we, TripleO are interested to
> continue the containerization of our services (which was initially done
> with Docker & Docker-Distribution).
> We're looking at how these containers could be managed by k8s one day but
> way before that we plan to swap out Docker and join CRI-O efforts, which
> seem to be using Podman + Buildah (among other things).

I guess my wording wasn't the best but Alex explained way better here:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-15.log.html#t2018-08-15T17:56:52

If I may have a chance to rephrase, I guess our current intention is to
continue our containerization and investigate how we can improve our
tooling to better orchestrate the containers.
We have a nice interface (openstack/paunch) that allows us to run multiple
container backends, and we're currently looking outside of Docker to see
how we could solve our current challenges with the new tools.
We're looking at CRI-O because it happens to be a project with a great
community, focusing on some problems that we, TripleO have been facing
since we containerized our services.

We're doing all of this in the open, so feel free to ask any question.

Emilien Macchi