[openstack-dev] [ironic] ironic-staging-drivers: what to do?

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 18:40:38 UTC 2018

Greetings fellow ironicans!

As many of you might know an openstack/ironic-staging-drivers[1]
repository exists. What most might not know is that it was
intentionally created outside of ironic's governance[2].

At the time it was created ironic was moving towards removing drivers
that did not meet our third-party CI requirement[3] to be in-tree. The
repository was an attempt to give a home to what some might find
useful or where third party CI is impractical or cost-prohibitive and
thus could not be officially part of Ironic the service. There was
hope that drivers could land in ironic-staging-drivers and possibly
graduate to being moved in-tree with third-party CI. As our community
has evolved we've not stopped and revisited the questions.

With our most recent release over, I believe we need to ask ourselves
if we should consider moving ironic-staging-drivers into our
governance.

Over the last couple of releases several contributors have found
themselves trying to seek out two available reviewers to merge even
trivial fixes[4]. Due to the team being so small this was no easy
task. As a result, I'm wondering why not move the repository into
governance, grant ironic-core review privileges upon the repository,
and maintain the purpose and meaning of the repository. This would
also result in the repository's release becoming managed via the
release management process which is a plus.

We could then propose an actual graduation process and help alleviate
some of the issues where driver code is iterated upon for long periods
of time before landing. At the same time I can see at least one issue
which is if we were to do that, then we would also need to manage
removal through the same path.

I know there are concerns over responsibility in terms of code
ownership and quality, but I feel like we already hit such issues[5],
like those encountered when Dmitry removed classic drivers[6] from the
repository and also encountered issues just prior to the latest
release[7][8].

This topic has come up in passing at PTGs and most recently on IRC[9],
and I think we ought to discuss it during our next weekly meeting[10].
I've gone ahead and added an item to the agenda, but we can also
discuss via email.

-Julia

[1]: http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/gerrit/projects.yaml#n4571
[2]: http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic-staging-drivers/tree/README.rst#n16